This is a full-time position with a salary of $30,194.24. We are seeking candidates interested in growing the library’s children’s programs, in raising the library’s profile in the community, and helping the library to achieve its long range plan goals. The job includes a variety of clerical, circulation, and support duties and answers to the Library Director. This is a position that requires a flexible, community-oriented person with strong communication and computer skills.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Works with library materials: receives incoming materials from patrons, the book return, and the inter-library delivery; returns materials to their proper place; maintains the shelves in good order; and deals with all facets of inter-library loans to libraries in the SALS/MVLS systems.
- Learns and becomes very comfortable with the library’s circulation system.
- Interacts with people in the library: registers patrons, circulates materials, assists with holds, aid as needed with the use of library equipment and computer technology; answers the phone; answers standard reference questions or refers detailed question to the library director as appropriate; provides reader’s advisory assistance.
- Community outreach: conducts tours of the library for children & school groups, reaches out to the community making connections especially with the school and other agencies serving youth in order to promote reading and library services.
- Adheres to policies and procedures established by the Library Board
- Performs light housekeeping as needed
- Performs other work as assigned by the Library Director
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
High school graduate or equivalent plus 1 year minimum of library experience OR 30 college semester hours 9 of which must be in a relevant field such as: library/ information science, early childhood education, computer applications
- Knowledge and understanding of library services
- Planning, time management, and organizational skills: Ability to organize and prioritize work and respond to varied/changing work demands
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team and be cooperative and courteous with the public.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and adhere to library policies, follow through with projects and meet deadlines
- Communication skills: Effectively communicate ideas and information in both written and verbal form.
- Technical Skills: Independent ability to use a variety of office and library equipment, software and databases such as Google Suite & Microsoft Suite, interpret technical regulations and instructions.
- Problem-solving skills: Ability to identify problems and opportunities, utilize information and resources for decision-making purposes, effectively evaluate or make independent decisions based upon experience, knowledge or training, and refer problems to the Library Director when necessary.
- Willingness to maintain and improve skills in the above-mentioned areas.
- Demonstration of good character as determined through a background investigation.
- Possesses patience, tact, and excellent communication skills
- Demonstrates creativity, flexibility, and a positive attitude
- Maintains poise in a busy setting serving patrons with high expectations
- Has the ability to relate to patrons of all ages
- Exhibits good judgment and can establish effective working relationships with staff, colleagues within the library system, community leaders, etc.
- Exhibits a passion for promoting reading to children
- Bending, twisting, and reaching
- Keyboarding, writing, filing and sorting
- Picking up and shelving books
- Lifting and carrying 30 pounds upstairs, and pushing and pulling objects weighing up to 100 pounds on wheels
- Sitting, standing, walking, climbing and stooping
- Talking and hearing, use of the telephone
DEADLINE: Special preference will be given to those applications received by Thursday February 22, 2024. Qualified, interested parties should follow the link to begin the application process https://forms.gle/izoQWR7oSvf9EST87
Only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Corinth Free Library is an association library and is not subject to civil service requirements. We are located at 89 Main Street Corinth, NY 12822.
We are an equal opportunity employer.